Saturday, August 2, 2008

IPAP Feature Artist August - David Scott McCurry


INTERNATIONAL PLEIN AIR PAINTERS FEATURE

DAVID SCOTT McCURRY
Greenville, South Carolina

My work is contemporary realism, which requires a plein air approach in technique. I use photographs sometimes to check the composition, tonal values, context, etc., but the actual painting is always done out in the open, in front of the subject. I am interested in urban, human activity in balance (sometimes in conflict) with nature. Age and history are elements I seek out when “scouting” a scene. Weathered wood and paint, rusty metal, crumbling buildings… these are things to which I know many in the plein air community can relate. My work as an academic in the field of education has taken me to many places in Africa , so much of my work was done there. I am currently interested in the urban development and rural history in and around the cities of Greenville and Abbeville, South Carolina . I use Winsor & Newton oils and sable brushes on traditional gessoed wood panels and paint in watercolor sometimes.


To join IPAP or thw GREAT WORLDWIDE PAINT OUT go to
http://www.i-p-a-p.com

No comments: